Cass County, Missouri U.S. Census TIGER/Line map
Cass County, Missouri
, approximately 40 miles (65 km) southeast of Kansas City
, in the mid-1950s contained a Mennonite congregation ([Old] Mennonite Church, USA) of 250 members. For many years it had two congregations, numbering in 1908 a total of 480 members. Amish Mennonite settlers moved into the area as early as 1860, but regular church services were not held until 1866. Two years later they organized the Clearfork congregation
. Out of this church developed the Sycamore Grove
and the Bethel
congregations, both in the Garden City
area in the southeastern part of the county.
|| Melvin Gingerich
| Date Published
Cite This Article
Gingerich, Melvin. "Cass County (Missouri, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 9 Mar 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Cass_County_(Missouri,_USA)&oldid=91347.
Gingerich, Melvin. (1953). Cass County (Missouri, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 9 March 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Cass_County_(Missouri,_USA)&oldid=91347.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia
, Vol. 1, p. 522. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.