From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[unchecked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130816)
 
(CSV import - 20130820)
Line 4: Line 4:
  
 
Carman Gospel Light Church closed its doors on 30 April 2003. A new Mennonite Brethren congregation began a year later in Carman, called the Friends Community Church.
 
Carman Gospel Light Church closed its doors on 30 April 2003. A new Mennonite Brethren congregation began a year later in Carman, called the Friends Community Church.
 
 
 
= Bibliography =
 
= Bibliography =
 
<em class="gameo_bibliography">Mennonite Brethren Herald</em> (27 May 1988): 38.
 
<em class="gameo_bibliography">Mennonite Brethren Herald</em> (27 May 1988): 38.
Line 12: Line 10:
  
 
<h3>Archival Records</h3> Congregational records at [http://www.mbconf.ca/mbstudies/ Centre for Mennonite Brethren Studies].
 
<h3>Archival Records</h3> Congregational records at [http://www.mbconf.ca/mbstudies/ Centre for Mennonite Brethren Studies].
 
 
 
= Additional Information =
 
= Additional Information =
 
<h3>Pastors at Carman Gospel Light Church</h3> <table class="vertical listing">  <tr> <th>Minister
 
<h3>Pastors at Carman Gospel Light Church</h3> <table class="vertical listing">  <tr> <th>Minister

Revision as of 19:40, 20 August 2013

Contents

The Carman Gospel Light Church began in 1956 when Peter Martens was asked to investigate possibilities for new ministries in Manitoba by the Home Missions Committee of the Mennonite Brethren Conference of Manitoba. Henry Redekop, an instructor at Winkler Bible School, led the group in a rented room in Carman. The fellowship was initially called Carman Gospel Light Mission. That year, teachers were elected to start Sunday School, Peter Martens was asked to be the pastor and a lot was purchased on 1st Street NW for a building that was completed in 1958. The name of the congregation changed in 1961 to Gospel Light Mennonite Brethren Church. In 1962 the church was received into the Manitoba and Canadian Conferences. In 1975, a building, known as the Hut, was erected beside the old church building. The congregation built a new building in 1979 which seated over 400 people. In 1985 the congregation changed its name to Carman Gospel Light Church.

Carman Gospel Light Church closed its doors on 30 April 2003. A new Mennonite Brethren congregation began a year later in Carman, called the Friends Community Church.

Bibliography

Mennonite Brethren Herald (27 May 1988): 38.

"Report of the Work of the Gospel Light Mennonite Brethren Church at 142 Fournier Avenue North, Carman, Manitoba." Unpublished paper, 1966, 3 pp. Centre for Mennonite Brethren Studies.

Archival Records

Congregational records at Centre for Mennonite Brethren Studies.

Additional Information

Pastors at Carman Gospel Light Church

Minister Years of Service
Peter Martens 1956-1958
Abe Quiring 1959-1963
John Unger 1964-1966
John Block 1967-1973
Peter Doerksen 1973-1982
Mark Johnson 1983-1990
Daniel Splett 1992-1998
Terry Carter 1998-2003

Membership at Carman Gospel Light Church

Year Members
1965 50
1985  120
1995  143
2000  126


Author(s) Sam Steiner
Date Published March 2012


Cite This Article

MLA style

Steiner, Sam. "Carman Gospel Light Church (Carman, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. March 2012. Web. 18 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Carman_Gospel_Light_Church_(Carman,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=86538.

APA style

Steiner, Sam. (March 2012). Carman Gospel Light Church (Carman, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Carman_Gospel_Light_Church_(Carman,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=86538.




©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.