The Canadiense Colony in Bolivia was founded in 1956 by a group of 48 families from the Menno Colony in Paraguay. It is located about 20 km. (12 mi.) northeast of Santa Cruz. The original settlers were joined by another 15-20 families from Paraguay in 1963-64. Many of these families left Paraguay due to the establishment of a producer-consumer cooperative in the Menno colony, the modernization trends of the schools, the founding of a high school, and changes in the church. The church in the Canadiense colony is called Grünthaler and resembles the Sommerfelder church.
A daughter colony, Morgenland, was founded in 1975 about 80 km. (50 mi.) se. of the town of Santa Cruz, 30 km. (18 mi.) south of Pailón. In 1986 Canadiense had a population of 807 inhabitants, of which 329 were baptized church members; Morgenland had 280 inhabitants with 104 members.
Although it became the oldest Mennonite colony in Bolivia after Tres Palmas was disbanded in 1986, Canadiense was still one of the poorer ones. Farms were generally mechanized, and some farmers owned light trucks, jeeps, or other small trucks. Radios and tape recorders were not prohibited in Canadiense.
Several individual men and families have been involved in making harnesses for Mennonite Central Committee (MCC), which MCC workers pass on to poor Bolivian farmers. Several women from the colony have worked at the adjacent Chorovi clinic, operated by the Evangelical Mennonite Mission Conference of Canada (Misión Evangélica Menonita, Bolivia).
See also Bergthal Mennonites
 Cite This Article
Hiebert, Isbrand. "Canadiense Colony (Bolivia)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1986. Web. 29 Jun 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Canadiense_Colony_(Bolivia)&oldid=86509.
Hiebert, Isbrand. (1986). Canadiense Colony (Bolivia). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 29 June 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Canadiense_Colony_(Bolivia)&oldid=86509.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.