The Canadian Northwest Conference (United Missionary Church) was one of the eight district conferences of this body, formerly the Mennonite Brethren in Christ. Settlers of this group from Ontario first located at Didsbury, Alberta, in 1894, then at Carstairs in 1900, and at Castor in 1906. Sons of the early pioneers moved to Alsask, Saskatchewan, in 1910. The first pastor in the Didsbury area was Elder J. B. Detwiler, 1894-1911. In 1906 Elder H. Goudie from Ontario organized the churches into a mission conference under the Ontario Conference. This was reorganized as an independent conference the following year and recognized by the General Conference of the church in 1909 under the name of the Canadian Northwest Conference. The conference maintained a strong emphasis on evangelistic efforts through revival, tabernacle, and camp meetings. Beulah Mission in Edmonton (1907) and Beulah Home for Girls (1910) were supported. The first missionary couple of the conference sailed for Nigeria, West Africa, in 1918, though the conference had assumed support of an Ontario couple after 1909. The Mountain View Bible College, founded as a Bible school at Didsbury in 1926, served as the official school of the Conference.
Conference statistics for the year 1949 showed 498 communicant members, 24 ordained ministers, and 12 probationers.
Huffman, Jasper Abraham. History of the Mennonite Brethren in Christ Church. New Carlisle, Ohio: The Bethel Pub. Co., 1920.
United Missionary Church Year Book (1950).
|Author(s)||S. F Pannabecker|
Cite This Article
Pannabecker, S. F. "Canadian Northwest Conference (United Missionary Church)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 25 Nov 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Canadian_Northwest_Conference_(United_Missionary_Church)&oldid=86506.
Pannabecker, S. F. (1953). Canadian Northwest Conference (United Missionary Church). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 November 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Canadian_Northwest_Conference_(United_Missionary_Church)&oldid=86506.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.