The Canaan Fellowship Mennonite Church (originally Canaan Amish Mennonite Church), located five miles (eight km) southwest of Plain City in Canaan Township, Madison County, Ohio, is a Beachy Amish Mennonite church. It was organized 12 June 1938 with 23 members under the leadership of M. M. Beachy of Salisbury, Pennsylvania. Until the meetinghouse was built in 1940, meetings were held in a vacant farmhouse. The 1952 membership was 52. Ministers who had served the congregation to 1953 were Eldon Troyer, Robert Kauffman, and Emery Yutzy. The congregation suffered a division in 1953, when the more conservative half withdrew. The conservative group, which remained Beachy Amish, purchased the meetinghouse in 1960. The group who had retained the meetinghouse to that time, led by Emery Yutzy and Robert Kauffman, transferred to other congregations.
In 2009 Nelson W. Beachy was the Bishop; the membership was 106.
Mennonite Church Directory (2009): 20.
Yoder, Elmer S. The Beachy Amish Mennonite Fellowship Churches. Hartville, Ohio: Diakonia Ministries, 1987: 335-336.
Address: 9380 Amish Road, Plain City, Ohio
Denominational Affiliation: Beachy Amish Church
|Date Published||March 2010|
Cite This Article
Yutzy, Emery and Sam Steiner. "Canaan Fellowship Mennonite Church (Plain City, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. March 2010. Web. 5 Dec 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Canaan_Fellowship_Mennonite_Church_(Plain_City,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=113262.
Yutzy, Emery and Sam Steiner. (March 2010). Canaan Fellowship Mennonite Church (Plain City, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 5 December 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Canaan_Fellowship_Mennonite_Church_(Plain_City,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=113262.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.