Camden Old Order Amish Settlement (Hillsdale County, Michigan, USA)

From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

The Old Order Amish settlement east of Camden, Hillsdale County, Michigan, began in 1956 when four families, including Bishop Levi Graber, from Allen County, Indiana, moved to the community.

The first year the settlement's students attended the public school, but than began their own private school. Initially they hired teachers from the community, but in 1962 began using Amish teachers. This created legal tensions for several years until a local lawyer, Albert Dimmers, was able to resolve the issues.

In 2015 there were four districts (congregations) with about 95 families in the settlement.

Bibliography

Michigan Amish Directory 2015. Millersburg, Ohio: Abana Books, 2015: 63-85.

Additional Information

Location: Map:Camden Old Order Amish Settlement (Hillsdale County, Michigan, USA)


Author(s) Sam Steiner
Date Published August 2017


Cite This Article

MLA style

Steiner, Sam. "Camden Old Order Amish Settlement (Hillsdale County, Michigan, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. August 2017. Web. 21 Oct 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Camden_Old_Order_Amish_Settlement_(Hillsdale_County,_Michigan,_USA)&oldid=154079.

APA style

Steiner, Sam. (August 2017). Camden Old Order Amish Settlement (Hillsdale County, Michigan, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 October 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Camden_Old_Order_Amish_Settlement_(Hillsdale_County,_Michigan,_USA)&oldid=154079.




©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.