Sunday school and worship services began almost immediately, either in a "granary" that provided early temporary quarter, or out-of-doors. A chapel was completed in 1956. Although a number of local children attended Sunday school, attracting adults to services.
The Glicks were replaced in 1958 as unit leaders by Leo and Bonnie Jantzi, followed by John and Sylvia Leonard in 1960. The unit closed in 1969 after some 60 VS workers had served in Calling Lake. In the mid-1960s Leo Jantzi served as minister for the group; by 1970 Paul White was the minister. By 1974 lay leader Willis Amstutz provided leadership for the congregation, and continued until the congregation closed in the early 1990s.
In 1970 there were 22 members; in 1975 there were 11 members; in 1985, 12; in 1990, 12.
The congregation met formally once a month. Membership declined as members moved away from the area. The congregation was no longer listed in the 1992 Mennonite Yearbook.
Mennonite Yearbook and Directory (1960s-1990/91)
Regehr, T. D. Faith, life and witness in the northwest, 1903-2003 : centennial history of the Northwest Mennonite Conference. Kitchener, Ont. : Pandora Press, 2003.
|Date Published||March 2010|
 Cite This Article
Epp, Marlene and Sam Steiner. "Calling Lake Mennonite Church (Calling Lake, Alberta, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. March 2010. Web. 19 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Calling_Lake_Mennonite_Church_(Calling_Lake,_Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=91322.
Epp, Marlene and Sam Steiner. (March 2010). Calling Lake Mennonite Church (Calling Lake, Alberta, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Calling_Lake_Mennonite_Church_(Calling_Lake,_Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=91322.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.