Byerland Mennonite Meetinghouse located in Willow Street, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, is a congregation of the Lancaster Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church USA). Samuel and Mary Boyer sold one acre of their farm 10 December 1755 along a road, now abandoned north of the James H. Hess farm home, Pequea Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, to Charles Christopher and Jacob Boehm, deacons, whereon was built a small log meetinghouse, still standing in 1950, although moved from its first location a few miles. The next church, one-half mile away on an elevated site along the Pequea Valley Road, was built in 1848 when Jacob Brenneman and Henry Charles were deacons. A large cemetery adjoined the church grounds. The well-preserved brick church built in 1879 was extensively remodeled in 1953. It became part of the New Danville-River Corner circuit. Rawlinsville was a mission outgrowth of the congregation. The 1953 membership was 199. Ministers serving in 1953 were Maris Hess and James H. Hess; Howard Eshleman was deacon.
In 2009 the membership was 102; the pastor was Joe C. Garber.
Address: 931 Byerland Church Road, Willow Street, Pennsylvania
|Author(s)||Ira D Landis|
Cite This Article
Landis, Ira D. "Byerland Mennonite Church (Willow Street, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 24 Jun 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Byerland_Mennonite_Church_(Willow_Street,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=91314.
Landis, Ira D. (1953). Byerland Mennonite Church (Willow Street, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 June 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Byerland_Mennonite_Church_(Willow_Street,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=91314.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.