Butterfield, Minnesota, is located in the south central part of the state and is in the western end of Watonwan County. It had a 1950 population of approximately 600 (564 in 2000). In 1950 there were at least 500 Mennonites living within the town and in the surrounding community. A much larger group was within shopping distance of the town. A considerable number came from the St. James and Mountain Lake Mennonite communities to shop at Miller's store. Most of the Mennonites of these areas were farmers.
The Mennonites living in this area were mostly General Conference Mennonites with a sprinkling of Evangelical Mennonite Brethren. Most of these people lived north and east of the town. A goodly number resided west and south, connecting with the Mountain Lake area. Some of these people had lived here since 1874. The settlement took shape largely after 1876. In the late eighties and early nineties the Galician Mennonites also came into the area. There were two Mennonite churches in the vicinity in the 1950s, one in town and the other five miles (eight km) northeast of Butterfield. At present there are no other Mennonite institutions although a number of years ago there was a German Mennonite Bible school on the premises of the First Mennonite Church property northeast of Butterfield. The building was torn down in 1952, and the lumber used for a parsonage.
|Author(s)||M. M Lehman|
Cite This Article
Lehman, M. M. "Butterfield (Minnesota, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 7 Oct 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Butterfield_(Minnesota,_USA)&oldid=86426.
Lehman, M. M. (1953). Butterfield (Minnesota, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 7 October 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Butterfield_(Minnesota,_USA)&oldid=86426.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.