John K. Brubaker, b. 8 March 1844, near Rohrerstown, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, was the son of Jacob Brubaker (1816-1868), of the sixth generation of pioneer John (d. 1748), who settled west of Lancaster. His profession was veterinary medicine. He was called to the ministry at Millersville, Pennsylvania, on 8 November 1879. Brubaker preached English, when only two others in the conference, Amos Herr and Isaac Eby, used that language. For this reason he was called for funerals both within and without the Mennonite Church, near and afar. He saw Sunday school opened at his meetinghouses in 1887 and 1896, and a new church built at Rohrerstown in 1895. He was interested in evangelistic meetings long before his brethren. From 14 March to 22 July 1896, he and J. S. Lehman made an evangelistic trip to Alaska, visiting many small congregations of the West. He held meetings for two or three weeks in Lagrange County, Indiana, and in Wayne County, Ohio. After a five weeks' illness he died in August 1898 at the age of 54 and was buried at Brubaker's cemetery near Rohrerstown.
|Author(s)||Ira D Landis|
Cite This Article
Landis, Ira D. "Brubaker, John K. (1844-1898)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 24 Oct 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Brubaker,_John_K._(1844-1898)&oldid=113246.
Landis, Ira D. (1953). Brubaker, John K. (1844-1898). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 October 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Brubaker,_John_K._(1844-1898)&oldid=113246.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.