Brodsack was first mentioned in historical documents in 1314 and was granted rights in 1381. Until 1772 the village was part of the Kingdom of Poland. The First Partition of Poland resulted in the creation of a new province in 1773, called West Prussia, in which Brodsack was located. Brodsack was situated in the district (Kreis) of Marienburg until the establishment of the Free City of Danzig in 1920. The village came under the control of Nazi Germany during World War II until February 1945, when it was occupied by Soviet forces and returned to Poland. In 2012 Brodsack (now Chlebówka) was a village in the administrative district of Gmina Nowy Staw, within Malbork County, Pomeranian Voivodeship.
In 1776, there were seven Mennonite families living in Brodsack with the following surnames: Cornies, Dick, Epp, Neufeldt, and Neusteter. In 1820, the village had 118 residents, including 18 Mennonites; the nearby manor, Vorwerk Brodsack (Brodsacker Vorwerk), had 23 residents, including 14 Mennonites.
Mennonites who were residents of Brodsack were members of the Rosenort Mennonite Church.
Stowarzyszenie Konserwatorów Zabytków. "Chlebówka." Catalogue of Monuments of Dutch Colonization in Poland. 2005. Web. 12 October 2012. http://holland.org.pl/art.php?kat=obiekt&id=303&lang=en.
Wikipedia. "Chlebówka." Web. 12 October 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlebówka.
Wolf, Hans-Jürgen. "Familienforschung in Westpreußen." Web. 8 October 2012. http://www.westpreussen.de.
|Author(s)||Richard D Thiessen|
|Date Published||October 2012|
 Cite This Article
Thiessen, Richard D. "Brodsack (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. October 2012. Web. 4 May 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Brodsack_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=94121.
Thiessen, Richard D. (October 2012). Brodsack (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 4 May 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Brodsack_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=94121.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.