The Brandon Mennonite Church, sometimes referred to as a preaching point, was located in a small eastern Colorado farming community that had developed along the Missouri Pacific Railroad some 85 miles northeast of La Junta during the late 1880s. The congregation was formally established and received into the Kansas-Nebraska Mennonite Conference in 1911. Jacob A. Heatwole, an ordained Virginia Mennonite Conference minister who had moved to Fairmount (present-day Swink), Colorado, in 1907, and would be ordained as a Bishop in the Kansas-Nebraska Mennonite Conference at La Junta in 1919, served as a visiting minister to the small Brandon congregation during 1910-14. The congregation, which was listed in the Mennonite Yearbook 1913-18 with 18 members, remained under the pastoral care of the La Junta ministers during its brief tenure. By 1919 the congregation was no longer listed in the Mennonite Yearbook.
Unrau, Harlan D. In Pursuit of Land, Health and Mission: A History of Mennonites in the Mountain States Region. Printed in Canada by Blitzprint Inc. 2007.
Original Article from Mennonite EncyclopediaVol. 1, p. 405 by Melvin Gingerich
|Author(s)||Harlan D Unrau|
|Date Published||December 2011|
Cite This Article
Unrau, Harlan D. "Brandon Mennonite Church (Brandon, Colorado, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. December 2011. Web. 29 Mar 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Brandon_Mennonite_Church_(Brandon,_Colorado,_USA)&oldid=55028.
Unrau, Harlan D. (December 2011). Brandon Mennonite Church (Brandon, Colorado, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 29 March 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Brandon_Mennonite_Church_(Brandon,_Colorado,_USA)&oldid=55028.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.