Boyertown Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA) was formerly known as Colebrookdale, being located in that township in Berks County, Pennsylvania. It's present address is 275 Mill Street Rd., Boyertown. The first church was built between 1772 and 1780, as a convenience to save the members a six-mile trip (10 km) to their home church at Hereford. Until 1953 Boyertown was a branch of the Hereford congregation. A new building replaced the old in 1819 and finally in 1879 a one-story brick structure located on Reading Avenue in the center of the Boyertown business district was built.
The Oberholtzer schism of 1847 divided the congregation and both groups continued to worship in the building on alternate Sundays. In 1877, the new group sued the old group for equal rights in a proposed new building. When a decision was brought against the old group, they appealed to the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania in 1883. This resulted in a decision which declared the original group of the Franconia Mennonite Conference to be the rightful owner of the property.
Sunday school was begun in 1899, was later discontinued, and revived in 1913. The group in 1953 had a membership of 33, served by Alfred Detweiler, a minister of the Rockhill congregation. In 2005 the membership was 125.
See also Lawsuits
Address: 275 Mill Street, Boyertown, Pennsylvania
Website:Boyertown Mennonite Church
Cite This Article
Leatherman, Quintus. "Boyertown Mennonite Church (Boyertown, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 24 Aug 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Boyertown_Mennonite_Church_(Boyertown,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=75929.
Leatherman, Quintus. (1953). Boyertown Mennonite Church (Boyertown, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 August 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Boyertown_Mennonite_Church_(Boyertown,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=75929.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.