Bowne Mennonite Church (Conservative Mennonite Conference), located in Bowne Township, Kent County, Clarksville, Michigan, was originally a member of the Indiana-Michigan Mennonite Conference. The earliest settlers arrived here from Somerset County, Pennsylvania, and Waterloo County, Ontario, in 1865. Public services were begun in the spring of 1866. During the year Peter Keim was ordained minister, and Herman Bender deacon, by J. M. Brenneman from Allen County, Ohio. In 1870 with the help of the Dunkards a log church house was built, which was used conjointly by both groups on alternate Sundays till 1879. In 1901 a frame structure seating 200 was built. The widely known John S. Coffman held his first series of meetings at this place about 1880. The 1953 membership was 114, with T. E. Schrock serving as bishop; Daniel Zook, minister; and Harold Christophel, deacon. Resident bishops serving here earlier included John Speicher, 1867-?; and J. P. Miller, 1912-1917. The ministers were Peter Keim, 1866-1904; Isaac Weaver, 1891-1917; and Aldus Brackbill, 1908-1928. The deacons were Herman Bender, 1866-1905; Joseph Mishler, 1900-1928; Eli Zook, 1912-1923; and George Stahl, 1925-1948.
The membership in 2009 was 42; the pastor was James Sutter.
 Additional Information
Address: 9314 West Clarksville Road, Clarksville, Michigan (meetinghouse 17 mi E of US 131 on 84th St to Pratt Lk Ave, 1 mi N to 76th, E 3/4 mi)
Website: Bowne Mennonite Church
|Author(s)||T. E Schrock|
 Cite This Article
Schrock, T. E. "Bowne Mennonite Church (Clarksville, Michigan, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 4 May 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bowne_Mennonite_Church_(Clarksville,_Michigan,_USA)&oldid=113739.
Schrock, T. E. (1953). Bowne Mennonite Church (Clarksville, Michigan, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 4 May 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bowne_Mennonite_Church_(Clarksville,_Michigan,_USA)&oldid=113739.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.