Bon Homme, a Hutterite Bruderhof five miles (eight km) southwest of Benard, Manitoba, founded in 1918 by Preacher Joseph Waldner and 14 families from the Bon Homme Bruderhof near Tabor, South Dakota. The move to Canada was made because Canada promised freedom from military service to conscientious objectors. Joseph Waldner died in 1934. In 1929 Michael Waldner and in 1934 Joseph Wollmann were chosen to the ministry. In 1947 this colony had a total of 180 souls, 72 being baptized members.
In 2012 Bon Homme Colony was a Schmiedeleut Group 2 colony. The leading minister was Clifford Waldner and the manager was Albert Waldner.
Daughter colonies of Bon Homme Colony include Cascade Hutterite Colony (MacGregor, Manitoba), Glendale Hutterite Colony (Frankfort, South Dakota), Grand Hutterite Colony (Oakville, Manitoba), Newdale Hutterite Colony (Brandon, Manitoba), and Waldheim Hutterite Colony (Elie, Manitoba).
Location: Elie, Manitoba (coordinates: 49.8719, -97.8886 [49˚ 52′ 18″ N, 97˚ 53′ 18″ W])
Address: Box 10, Elie, MB R0H 0H0
|Richard D. Thiessen|
|Date Published||March 2013|
Cite This Article
Decker, David and Richard D. Thiessen. "Bon Homme Hutterite Colony (Elie, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. March 2013. Web. 10 Mar 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bon_Homme_Hutterite_Colony_(Elie,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=75848.
Decker, David and Richard D. Thiessen. (March 2013). Bon Homme Hutterite Colony (Elie, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 10 March 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bon_Homme_Hutterite_Colony_(Elie,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=75848.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.