The Home Missions Board of the General Conference of the Mennonite Brethren Church of North America (officially Board of Home Missions) served as an advisory and coordinating body. The conference statistical work was assigned to this Board. For more effective work in the field of home missions the conference was divided into four district areas and all the home missions activities were assigned to the district conferences. All of the churches in Canada composed one district and the United States was divided into three district areas.
The organization for home missions in the four districts was very similar and the activities were the same in all: (1) coordinating of the program for the traveling evangelists in the member churches; (2) establishment and maintenance of city missions in larger cities; (3) extension service by conducting Sunday schools, vacation Bible schools, etc., in the immediate neighborhood of our churches. This latter resulted in the establishment of a number of mission chapels in the various districts, which were expected eventually to become self-supporting member churches.
Some of the districts had a three-member board; others had three-member committees for each major activity, which together comprised the District Board for Home Missions. The total budget for home missions of the four districts in 1953 was approximately $100,000 annually.
|Author(s)||A. A Schroeter|
 Cite This Article
Schroeter, A. A. "Board of Home Missions (General Conference of the Mennonite Brethren Church)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 24 May 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Board_of_Home_Missions_(General_Conference_of_the_Mennonite_Brethren_Church)&oldid=79409.
Schroeter, A. A. (1953). Board of Home Missions (General Conference of the Mennonite Brethren Church). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 May 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Board_of_Home_Missions_(General_Conference_of_the_Mennonite_Brethren_Church)&oldid=79409.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.