The Blumenort Evangelical Mennonite congregation (formerly Blumenort Kleine Gemeinde Mennonite Church) began services in 1874. For the first 44 years church meetings were held in the village schoolhouses. The first building was occupied in 1918, with later building projects in 1951 and 1981. The congregation originated through immigration from Russia. It has been one of the largest churches in the denomination.
Senior Pastor Barry Plett served in 2009 as a congregational leader. In 1950 there were 430 members; in 1965, 399 members; in 1975, 469; in 1985, 539. The congregation has been affiliated with the Evangelical Mennonite Conference. The language of worship is English; the language transition from German occurred in the 1960s.
David P. Reimer was ordained bishop in 1948 to succeed his brother, P.P. Reimer, who moved to Mexico. Preachers who served in the early 1950s were Cornelius R. Penner, John G. Barkman, Bernhard P. Doerksen, and Peter P. Friesen. The deacons were Aaron R. Reimer, Peter K. Dueck, and Cornelius R. Plett. At that time Sunday school was held every Sunday and Jugendverein every four weeks.
Loewen, Royden. Blumenort : A Mennonite Community in Transition 1874-1982. Blumenort: Blumenort Mennonite Historical Society, 1983.
 Additional Information
Address: 59 Centre Avenue, Blumenort, Manitoba
Denominational Affiliation: Evangelical Mennonite Conference
|Author(s)||David P Reimer|
 Cite This Article
Reimer, David P. "Blumenort Evangelical Mennonite Church (Blumenort, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 29 Jul 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Blumenort_Evangelical_Mennonite_Church_(Blumenort,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=75772.
Reimer, David P. (1953). Blumenort Evangelical Mennonite Church (Blumenort, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 29 July 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Blumenort_Evangelical_Mennonite_Church_(Blumenort,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=75772.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.