Henry H. Blauch, minister of the Mennonite Church (MC) was born near Johnstown, Pennsylvania, 14 April 1828, and died at Springs, Somerset County, Pennsylvania, on 8 June 1904. He was the son of Jacob and Sarah Blauch and a grandson of Jacob Blauch, the first Mennonite bishop of the Johnstown district. He was married to Catherine Keim on 25 May 1851, and to this union were born eight children. He united with the Mennonite Church in early life and took up his abode in Elk Lick Township, Somerset County, Pennsylvania, then known as the Casselman River district. Here he was called to the ministry by a unanimous voice of the church on 6 September 1853. He served the church at this place for more than 50 years (now the Springs congregation).
Henry H. Blauch's education was mostly in the German language, but he preached in both German and English. When he was ordained to the ministry, his church numbered 22 members, but in his lifetime it increased to 250 members. For several years Blauch was the only Mennonite minister in the southern part of Somerset County.
As the congregation had no house of worship, Blauch preached in schoolhouses at various points in both his native county and the adjoining county, Garrett County, Maryland. However, during his lifetime the congregation built four meetinghouses.
"Pre. Henry H. Blauch." Herald of Truth 41 (23 June 1904): 208. Reproduced in MennObits. "Herald of Truth Obituaries - June, 1904." http://www.mcusa-archives.org/mennobits/1904/jun1904.html (accessed 21 August 2009).
|Author(s)||Elmer E Bittinger|
 Cite This Article
Bittinger, Elmer E. "Blauch, Henry H. (1828-1904)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 4 Jul 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Blauch,_Henry_H._(1828-1904)&oldid=75712.
Bittinger, Elmer E. (1953). Blauch, Henry H. (1828-1904). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 4 July 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Blauch,_Henry_H._(1828-1904)&oldid=75712.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.