The Black River Mennonite Church (formerly Mennonite Church ) is located south of Loman, Minnesota., on the Canadian boarder in Koochiching County. The congregation was established in 1939 and was known as the Loman Mennonite Church until 1955. It became a fully organized church in 1953.
The Loman Mennonite Church was first called the Northern Light Gospel Mission. The mission was started in July 1938 by two couples, the Groffs and the Schantzes of Pennsylvania. This was a work of faith with no promise of support by any board, church, or individual and with no solicitation. The workers of the area also started work at White Earth, Menahga, Leader, Cass Lake, and Graceton, with two families at all but the latter two places, Cass Lake having two single workers, and Graceton one family in 1954. This group of workers conducted services regularly at 11 different places. In 1943 Irwin Schantz was ordained minister for the Loman church. It had 27 members in 1958, with William A. Kurtz as pastor.
In 2009 it was an unaffilliated Mennonite Church with a membership of 22. Timothy W. Zook was the Bishop.
Address: Black River Road, Loman, Minnesota (located 4.5 miles (7.5 km) south of Loman, Minnesota on Black River Road, County Road 32)
Cite This Article
Schantz, Irwin and Melvin Gingerich. "Black River Mennonite Church (Loman, Minnesota, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 11 Feb 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Black_River_Mennonite_Church_(Loman,_Minnesota,_USA)&oldid=91136.
Schantz, Irwin and Melvin Gingerich. (1959). Black River Mennonite Church (Loman, Minnesota, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 11 February 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Black_River_Mennonite_Church_(Loman,_Minnesota,_USA)&oldid=91136.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.