Kleine Geistliche Harfe, 1803
In 1777 the British destroyed the Germantown (Pennsylvania
) printing establishment of the Brethren (Dunkard
) printer, Christopher Saur, Jr.
Six years later Peter Leibert, a Brethren minister, and Michael Billmeyer, his Lutheran son-in-law, bought what was usable of the Saur equipment, and set up shop in Germantown
, being more or less the successors of the younger Saur. This partnership continued for about three years, after which Billmeyer continued alone, and Leibert started a new printing business. In 1785 the Billmeyer press issued a reprint of the Ausbund
, and a polemic from a onetime Franconia Mennonite bishop, Ein Aufsatz oder Verteidigung
von Christian Funk
. In 1790 it reprinted Roosen's Christliches Gemütsgespräch
. In 1803 Billmeyer printed the new Franconia Conference
hymnbook, Die kleine geistliche Harfe der Kinder Zions
, and reprinted it in 1820. In 1805 he issued the fourth edition of Die Wandelnde Seele
by J. P. Schabalie
. He was thus in effect for a generation the printer for the Franconia Mennonites.
Bender, Harold S. Two Centuries of American Mennonite Literature, A Bibliography of Mennonitica Americana 1727-1928. Goshen, IN: Mennonite Historical Society, 1929.
Flory, J. S. Literary Activity of the German Baptist Brethren in the Eighteenth Century. Elgin, Illinois, 1908: 157-160, 321-327.
|| John C Wenger
| Date Published
Cite This Article
Wenger, John C. "Billmeyer, Michael (1752-1837)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1955. Web. 25 May 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Billmeyer,_Michael_(1752-1837)&oldid=91126.
Wenger, John C. (1955). Billmeyer, Michael (1752-1837). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Billmeyer,_Michael_(1752-1837)&oldid=91126.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia
, Vol. 1, p. 342. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.