The Henderson Bethesda Preparatory School (German, Fortbildungsschule), located at Henderson, Nebraska, began as a secondary school built in 1902. The two- year course of study was modeled after the Hillsboro (Kansas) Preparatory School conducted by H. D. Penner. Christian Hege and J. J. Friesen were early teachers. When the public school began to offer full high-school courses (1911), attendance at the church school gradually declined, and the curriculum was limited more to Bible and German. The school was closed in 1932 and reopened as the Bethesda Bible School (Schmidt). In addition to this school there has also been a Henderson Bible School since 1933 under the leadership of J. R. Barkman. The list of schools under Bible Schools also mentions a Henderson Bible School of the General Conference started in 1942. This school has also been discontinued. Religious training is taken care of in special classes during the regular Sunday-school hour.
Katalog, Bethesda Fortbildungsschule (1902 ff.)
Schmidt, Theodore. "The Mennonites of Nebraska." Thesis, University of Nebraska, 1933: 43 ff.
|Author(s)||H. D Epp|
 Cite This Article
Epp, H. D. "Bethesda Preparatory School (Henderson, Nebraska, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 4 Mar 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bethesda_Preparatory_School_(Henderson,_Nebraska,_USA)&oldid=94088.
Epp, H. D. (1956). Bethesda Preparatory School (Henderson, Nebraska, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 4 March 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bethesda_Preparatory_School_(Henderson,_Nebraska,_USA)&oldid=94088.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.