From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Bethesda was a small country corners on the 5th Concession of Whitchurch Township, York County, Ontario. From its earliest records it has been connected with Mennonites. Christian Steckley, born in 1795, who came from Pennsylvania, homesteaded on 1,000 acres extending in a block one and one-fourth miles north and one and one-fourth miles east from this point. The Steckley family consisted of six sons and three daughters. Two of the sons married and joined the Tunker Church. The other sons later became members of the newly organized Mennonite Brethren in Christ group about 1875, John being one of the founders of that church. Church services were held in the Steckley home until the Mennonite church was built on the 5th Concession of Markham, west of Almira, 1860. The appointment was known as Stecklin.


Author(s) J. C Fretz
Date Published 1953


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Fretz, J. C. "Bethesda (York County, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 22 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bethesda_(York_County,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=75569.

APA style

Fretz, J. C. (1953). Bethesda (York County, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bethesda_(York_County,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=75569.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 315. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.