From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[unchecked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130816)
 
(CSV import - 20130820)
 
Line 1: Line 1:
  [[File:92-14-3649.jpg|300px|thumb|right|'''']]    870 Carter Ave., Winnipeg, MB, R3M 2E2. (204) 453-2199. Pastors Rudy Baergen, Lisa Enns-Bogoya and Reynold Friesen served in 2006 as congregational leaders. In 1950 there were 202 members; in 1965, 450; in 1975, 385; in 1985, 516; in 1995, 591; in 2000, 587; in 2005, 598. The congregation has been affiliated with the [[Mennonite Church Manitoba|Conference of Mennonites in Manitoba]], [[Conference of Mennonites in Canada|Conference of Mennonites in Canada]] (1950-), and the [[General Conference Mennonite Church (GCM)|General Conference Mennonite Church]] (1947-). The language of worship is English; the transition from German occurred in the 1940s.
+
[[File:92-14-3649.jpg|300px|thumb|right|'''']]    870 Carter Ave., Winnipeg, MB, R3M 2E2. (204) 453-2199. Pastors Rudy Baergen, Lisa Enns-Bogoya and Reynold Friesen served in 2006 as congregational leaders. In 1950 there were 202 members; in 1965, 450; in 1975, 385; in 1985, 516; in 1995, 591; in 2000, 587; in 2005, 598. The congregation has been affiliated with the [[Mennonite Church Manitoba|Conference of Mennonites in Manitoba]], [[Conference of Mennonites in Canada|Conference of Mennonites in Canada]] (1950-), and the [[General Conference Mennonite Church (GCM)|General Conference Mennonite Church]] (1947-). The language of worship is English; the transition from German occurred in the 1940s.
  
 
The work began in January 1938, when [[Ewert, Benjamin (1870-1958)|Benjamin Ewert]], itinerant preacher of the Canadian Conference, and later minister-at-large, started to hold services in an English Baptist church on Sargent Avenue. For over six years services were held at the corner of Sherbrook Street and Sargent Avenue, but in 1945 the congregation purchased the church. In 1953 its membership included many Mennonite students and young people who came to the city for employment attending. Most of the services in 1953 were in English, with a German and an English sermon every Sunday morning. From 1947 to 1949 the [[Canadian Mennonite Bible College (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada)|Canadian Mennonite Bible College]] was located in this church. Benjamin Ewert served the congregation 1938-1943, Isaac I. Friesen 1943-1951, and David Schroeder beginning in 1951.
 
The work began in January 1938, when [[Ewert, Benjamin (1870-1958)|Benjamin Ewert]], itinerant preacher of the Canadian Conference, and later minister-at-large, started to hold services in an English Baptist church on Sargent Avenue. For over six years services were held at the corner of Sherbrook Street and Sargent Avenue, but in 1945 the congregation purchased the church. In 1953 its membership included many Mennonite students and young people who came to the city for employment attending. Most of the services in 1953 were in English, with a German and an English sermon every Sunday morning. From 1947 to 1949 the [[Canadian Mennonite Bible College (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada)|Canadian Mennonite Bible College]] was located in this church. Benjamin Ewert served the congregation 1938-1943, Isaac I. Friesen 1943-1951, and David Schroeder beginning in 1951.
Line 6: Line 6:
  
 
The congregation was originally known as Bethel Mennonite Mission.
 
The congregation was originally known as Bethel Mennonite Mission.
 
 
 
= Bibliography =
 
= Bibliography =
 
<em>Canadian Mennonite</em> (4 December 1953): 43; (30 December 1955): 3; (20 May 1960): 11.
 
<em>Canadian Mennonite</em> (4 December 1953): 43; (30 December 1955): 3; (20 May 1960): 11.
Line 22: Line 20:
  
 
<h3>Archival records</h3> Church records at [http://www.mennonitechurch.ca/programs/archives/index.htm Mennonite Heritage Centre].
 
<h3>Archival records</h3> Church records at [http://www.mennonitechurch.ca/programs/archives/index.htm Mennonite Heritage Centre].
 
 
 
= Additional Information =
 
= Additional Information =
 
<strong>Address:</strong> 465 Stafford Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba
 
<strong>Address:</strong> 465 Stafford Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Line 36: Line 32:
  
 
[http://www.mennonitechurch.ca/ Mennonite Church Canada]
 
[http://www.mennonitechurch.ca/ Mennonite Church Canada]
 
 
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 1, p. 314|date=March 1989|a1_last=Ewert|a1_first=Benjamin|a2_last=Epp|a2_first=Marlene}}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 1, p. 314|date=March 1989|a1_last=Ewert|a1_first=Benjamin|a2_last=Epp|a2_first=Marlene}}

Latest revision as of 18:48, 20 August 2013

'
870 Carter Ave., Winnipeg, MB, R3M 2E2. (204) 453-2199. Pastors Rudy Baergen, Lisa Enns-Bogoya and Reynold Friesen served in 2006 as congregational leaders. In 1950 there were 202 members; in 1965, 450; in 1975, 385; in 1985, 516; in 1995, 591; in 2000, 587; in 2005, 598. The congregation has been affiliated with the Conference of Mennonites in Manitoba, Conference of Mennonites in Canada (1950-), and the General Conference Mennonite Church (1947-). The language of worship is English; the transition from German occurred in the 1940s.

The work began in January 1938, when Benjamin Ewert, itinerant preacher of the Canadian Conference, and later minister-at-large, started to hold services in an English Baptist church on Sargent Avenue. For over six years services were held at the corner of Sherbrook Street and Sargent Avenue, but in 1945 the congregation purchased the church. In 1953 its membership included many Mennonite students and young people who came to the city for employment attending. Most of the services in 1953 were in English, with a German and an English sermon every Sunday morning. From 1947 to 1949 the Canadian Mennonite Bible College was located in this church. Benjamin Ewert served the congregation 1938-1943, Isaac I. Friesen 1943-1951, and David Schroeder beginning in 1951.

There were building programs in 1945, 1955 and 1995.

The congregation was originally known as Bethel Mennonite Mission.

Contents

[edit] Bibliography

Canadian Mennonite (4 December 1953): 43; (30 December 1955): 3; (20 May 1960): 11.

Dyck, Betty, ed. Bethel: Pioneering in Faith, 1937-1987. 1988. 147 pp.

Dyck, Harry B. "The History and Development of the Bethel Mennonite Church," Research paper, CMBC, 1965, 26 pp. Mennonite Heritage Centre.

Enns, Edward. "Bethel Mission Mennonite Church," Research paper, CMBC, 1950, 22 pp. Mennonite Heritage Centre.

Mennonite Reporter (15 April 1991): 11.

Unpublished congregational history, 1965, 16 pp. Mennonite Heritage Centre.

Archival records

Church records at Mennonite Heritage Centre.

[edit] Additional Information

Address: 465 Stafford Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Phone: 204-453-2199

Website: Bethel Mennonite Church

Denominational Affiliations:

Mennonite Church Manitoba

Mennonite Church Canada


Author(s) Benjamin Ewert
Marlene Epp
Date Published March 1989


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Ewert, Benjamin and Marlene Epp. "Bethel Mennonite Church (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. March 1989. Web. 20 Apr 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bethel_Mennonite_Church_(Winnipeg,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=75555.

APA style

Ewert, Benjamin and Marlene Epp. (March 1989). Bethel Mennonite Church (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 April 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bethel_Mennonite_Church_(Winnipeg,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=75555.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 314. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.