Bethel Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), 18443 Illinois Route 9, Pekin, Illinois, was established through extension work of the East Washington Church in about 1890, when D. D. Augspurger held services at the Railroad schoolhouse, four miles (6.5 km) east of Pekin. The congregation was organized in 1905, with Allen Miller as minister. It continued to worship at the Railroad schoolhouse until 1910, when a new church was built about three miles (5 km) east of Pekin. In 1952 the membership was 70 (in 2005, 34). It was a member of the Central Conference (now Central District Conference).
The congregation's membership numbers slowly dropped as their members aged. The congregation voted in fall 2008 to bring its congregational life to an end. On 4 January 2009 it held its final worship service. The interim minister in 2008/09 was Maurice Yordy.
Kaufmann, Lois Johns. "Bethel Holds Final Worship." Central District Conference Reporter (January 2009): 4. http://centraldistrict.mennonite.net/:/PDF/JAN.%20REPORTER.pdf (accessed 13 August 2009)
|Date Published||August 2009|
 Cite This Article
Steiner, Sam. "Bethel Mennonite Church (Pekin, Illinois, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. August 2009. Web. 20 Jan 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bethel_Mennonite_Church_(Pekin,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=91091.
Steiner, Sam. (August 2009). Bethel Mennonite Church (Pekin, Illinois, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 January 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bethel_Mennonite_Church_(Pekin,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=91091.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.