Bethel Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), 256 8th Avenue, Imnan, Kansas, was organized January 1875 with 35 members and Jacob Klassen as minister. He served as the first elder from 1877 to 1879. Other elders up to 1953 were Heinrich Toews, 1879 to 1912; Klaas Kroeker, 1912 to 1936; and P. T. Neufeld, 1936 to 1953. The church was a member of the General Conference Mennonite Church (later Mennonite Church USA) and of the Western District Conference, with a membership of 313 in 1953 (389 in 2004). The first meetinghouse, used until 1897, was an adobe building, erected in 1880 a mile south of the present location. Then a wooden structure was erected at the present location. This was used till 1928, when it was destroyed by lightning. Thereupon a new building was erected, with a seating capacity of about 400. In 1953 the church was again destroyed by fire and a new brick church was built. Additional space was added in 1986. The church had furnished the following missionaries through 1953: H. T. Neufelds, John Thiessens, Frank Ennses, John T. Neufeld, Eva Pauls, Henry Toews, George B. Neufelds, and Arthur Thiessens.
Bethel Mennonite Church. "About us." 2006. http://www.bethelinman.org/about.html (accessed 20 December 2006)
Address: 256 8th Avenue, Inman, Kansas
Website: Bethel Mennonite Church
|Author(s)||Peter T Neufeld|
Cite This Article
Neufeld, Peter T. "Bethel Mennonite Church (Inman, Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 29 May 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bethel_Mennonite_Church_(Inman,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=54617.
Neufeld, Peter T. (1953). Bethel Mennonite Church (Inman, Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 29 May 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bethel_Mennonite_Church_(Inman,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=54617.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.