Members of the Zion and Hopewell congregations living in this community, five to ten miles (8-16 km) from their respective home churches, held Sunday school and preaching services in local schoolhouses while the roads were muddy in the wet season and dusty in the dry season, until 1912, when a church was built for their community. On 4 May 1919 a congregation was organized and a resident minister placed in the community.
Such names as Roth, Mitchell, Strubhar, Nofziger, Bond, Hostetler, Rogie, Yoder, Troyer, Christner, Kropf, Bressler, Schultz, Greenwood, Miller, Kauffman, Good, Snyder, Zook, Schrock, Gingerich, Bontrager, Switzer, Diener, and Birkey were known as being or having been among the worshipers at Bethel. In 1953 the membership was 80.
Due to declining attendance the congregation disbanded in 1969 when the membership was about 35.
Lind, Hope Kauffman. Apart & together: Mennonites in Oregon and neighboring states, 1876-1976. Scottdale, PA: Herald Press, 1990: 51.
Shetler S. G. Church History of the Pacific Coast Mennonite Conference District. Scottdale, PA, 1931.
|Author(s)||F. J. Gingerich|
Cite This Article
Gingerich, F. J. and Sam Steiner. "Bethel Mennonite Church (Canby, Oregon, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 2008. Web. 2 Mar 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bethel_Mennonite_Church_(Canby,_Oregon,_USA)&oldid=116999.
Gingerich, F. J. and Sam Steiner. (2008). Bethel Mennonite Church (Canby, Oregon, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 2 March 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bethel_Mennonite_Church_(Canby,_Oregon,_USA)&oldid=116999.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.