Bethel Mennonite Brethren Church (formerly Krimmer Mennonite Brethren), located near Yale, Beadle County, South Dakota, had its beginning in 1902, when six or seven families who had moved into this locality united to form a congregation with John Z. Kleinsasser as leader. These families met in their homes until 1904, when with a membership of about 30 they built a church with a seating capacity of about 130. This congregation increased, but in the spring of 1910 nine families from this congregation, including the pastor, moved to Dinuba, California. The church and lot were then sold, and the members again met in the homes until a new building was dedicated on the present site, with John Tschetter as its pastor. In 1912 the leadership was turned over to J. M. Tschetter. In 1919 a new building was dedicated with the old church serving as an annex. J. M. Tschetter served as pastor until 12 December 1941 when Sam J. R. Hofer took over the leadership, followed by missionary A. K. Wiens in 1944. In April 1947 A. K. Wiens resigned to resume his missionary work in North China, and the congregation called John J. Kleinsasser from Dinuba, a son of the first pastor, to serve as its pastor. J. J. Kleinsasser resigned on 30 June 1952. George Classen accepted the call on 1 June 1953. The church membership was 300 in 1949.
Address: 19453 408 Avenue, Yale, South Dakota
|Author(s)||J. J Kleinsasser|
Cite This Article
Kleinsasser, J. J. "Bethel Mennonite Brethren Church (Yale, South Dakota, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 27 Jun 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bethel_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Yale,_South_Dakota,_USA)&oldid=75523.
Kleinsasser, J. J. (1953). Bethel Mennonite Brethren Church (Yale, South Dakota, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 27 June 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bethel_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Yale,_South_Dakota,_USA)&oldid=75523.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.