Bethany Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church) near Elida, Ohio, was the second congregation formed from the Salem-Pike congregation in Allen County between 1924 and 1936. In the latter year when the Salem-Pike congregation withdrew from the Ohio Mennonite and Eastern A.M. Joint Conference after its bishop had been placed under conference censure, 80 members including Preacher J. B. Smith and Deacon Perry Smith, desiring to stay with the conference, formed a separate congregation. They purchased the Dutch Hollow schoolhouse and renamed it Bethany Church. Perry Smith and Sherman Swartz were particularly active in the Sunday school in the early years.
When the Salem-Pike congregation was granted readmission into conference, one of the requirements set up by conference leadership was that the Salem-Pike congregation should transfer title of one of its two church buildings (Pike and Salem) to the Bethany congregation. Salem was turned over to the new group, which in 1941 became Bethany-Salem, and after 1942 was known as the Salem Mennonite congregation. Membership in 1953 was 108, with Richard Martin serving as pastor.
|Author(s)||John S Umble|
 Cite This Article
Umble, John S. "Bethany Mennonite Church (Elida, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 2 Mar 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bethany_Mennonite_Church_(Elida,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=113215.
Umble, John S. (1953). Bethany Mennonite Church (Elida, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 2 March 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bethany_Mennonite_Church_(Elida,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=113215.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.