The Bethany congregation began services in the 1860s, and formally organized in 1874. The first building was occupied in 1877, with a subsequent building program in 1908. Moses Weber is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through division from the Mennonite Conference of Ontario over language and revivalism. The congregation was originally known as Lancaster Street Mennonite. This was the first Mennonite Brethren in Christ church in the area.
Pastor Bill Anderson served in 2009 as the senior pastor. In 1900 there were 141 members; in 1925, 277; in 1950, 319; in 1975, 319; in 1985, 317; in 1995, 287. The congregation has been affiliated with the Mennonite Brethren in Christ (1883), the United Missionary Church (1947), the Missionary Church (1969) and Evangelical Missionary Church of Canada, Canada East District (1993). The language of worship is English; the transition from German occurred in the 1890s.
Mennonite Encyclopedia. "Bethany."
Canadian Mennonite 6 (10 October 1958): 2.
Shantz, Ward M. A History of Bethany Missionary Church 1877-1977. Kitchener: Bethany Missionary Church, 1977.
 Additional Information
Address: 160 Lancaster Street East, Kitchener, Ontario N2H 1N2
Denominational Affiliation: Evangelical Missionary Church of Canada
|Date Published||December 1986|
 Cite This Article
Walsh, Arthur and Marlene Epp. "Bethany Evangelical Missionary Church (Kitchener, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. December 1986. Web. 5 Jul 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bethany_Evangelical_Missionary_Church_(Kitchener,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=75487.
Walsh, Arthur and Marlene Epp. (December 1986). Bethany Evangelical Missionary Church (Kitchener, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 5 July 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bethany_Evangelical_Missionary_Church_(Kitchener,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=75487.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.