Berlin Mennonite Church (Berlin, Ohio, USA)
The Berlin Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), Berlin, Ohio, began in 1917 as a mission station or branch of the Martins Creek Church to afford a place of worship for members who did not have transportation to attend the services at Martins Creek during the winter. The Martins Creek congregation purchased a store and apartment house in 1917 and converted it into a church. The first meeting was held in March 1918, in the face of bitter opposition from the people of the community on account of the conscientious objector position of the members. In 1934 a minor division occurred when Earl Miller withdrew with eight or ten members to organize an independent congregation. In 1940 spring and fall communion services were conducted in the Berlin Church for the first time. In 1944 the group was organized as a separate congregation under the Ohio and Eastern A.M. Conference with Simon W. Sommer pastor and D. D. Miller of Martins Creek bishop. The 1953 membership was 157. In 2008 the membership was 275; Ernest Hershberger was the pastor.
Address: 4718 US Rte. 62 East, Berlin, Ohio 44610
Website: Berlin Mennonite Church
|Author(s)||John S Umble|
Cite This Article
Umble, John S. "Berlin Mennonite Church (Berlin, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 22 May 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Berlin_Mennonite_Church_(Berlin,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=104325.
Umble, John S. (1953). Berlin Mennonite Church (Berlin, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 May 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Berlin_Mennonite_Church_(Berlin,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=104325.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 285. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.