Revision as of 18:47, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search

The Bergthal Colony in Paraguay is located 300 km (180 mi.) east of Asunción. It was founded in July 1948 by 740 Old Colony Mennonites from Manitoba (East Reserve) who bought 27,000 acres of forest land at $3.00 per acre, and established seven villages with Chortitz as center. In 1953, after some return migration, the population was 639 persons in 117 families. In 1986 the colony's lands consist of 10,297 hectares (25,433 acres) populated by 1,478 settlers, of whom 495 were church members in 1986. A shortage of land led many from this settlement to return to Canada toward the end of the 20th century.

See Sommerfeld Colony, Paraguay for more detail.


Kraybill, Paul N., ed. Mennonite World Handbook. Lombard, IL: Mennonite World Conference, 1978: 252

Author(s) Harold S. Bender
Gerhard Ratzlaff
Date Published 1986

Cite This Article

MLA style

Bender, Harold S. and Gerhard Ratzlaff. "Bergthal Colony (Caaguazú Department, Paraguay)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1986. Web. 5 Oct 2015.,_Paraguay)&oldid=75407.

APA style

Bender, Harold S. and Gerhard Ratzlaff. (1986). Bergthal Colony (Caaguazú Department, Paraguay). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 5 October 2015, from,_Paraguay)&oldid=75407.

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 282; vol. 5, p. 67. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.

©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.