Belleville Mennonite School (Belleville, Pennsylvania, USA)
Belleville Mennonite School, until 1952 called Kishacoquillas Valley (K. V.) Christian Day School, located near Belleville, Pennsylvania, was founded in 1945 as an elementary school by a group of Mennonites and Amish Mennonites from several congregations in the Kishacoquillas Valley who organized a patrons' association which set up a board of directors now called Belleville Mennonite School Board. In 1952 the high‑school department was added and in 1958-59 the enrollment was 154 in the elementary school and 83 in the high school. The school was held at Menno (White Hall) the first year, with J. B. Kanagy as teacher, with 28 pupils. In 1946-47 a three-room building was constructed, the next year the high-school building was begun, and in 1958-59 a two-room elementary building was erected.
In February 1976, the high school building was completely destroyed by fire. But by summer, ground had been broken for a new structure. Although not fully completed, the new building was occupied less than a year later, in April 1977.
Principals through 1959 included: Rhoda Peachey 1946-47, Lester Zook 1947-48, Alphie Zook 1948-56, Laurie Mitton 1956-59, Arthur Byer superintendent 1959- .
"About BMS." Belleville Mennonite School. Accessed 10 July 2007. <http://bellevillemennoniteschool.org/about/>
Address: 4105 Front Mountain Road, Belleville, Pennsylvania 17004
Website: Belleville Mennonite School
|Author(s)||Harold S Bender|
Cite This Article
Bender, Harold S. "Belleville Mennonite School (Belleville, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 24 Aug 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Belleville_Mennonite_School_(Belleville,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=139775.
Bender, Harold S. (1959). Belleville Mennonite School (Belleville, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 August 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Belleville_Mennonite_School_(Belleville,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=139775.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.