The Beatrice, Nebraska Mennonite community originated in 1877 when a group of Prussian Mennonites coming mostly from the Heubuden and Elbing-Ellerwald Mennonite churches arrived there, after having stopped in Mount Pleasant, Iowa. A larger group had followed Cornelius Jansen to Mount Pleasant, of whom some settled in Kansas. The Beatrice group consisting of 34 families was joined in 1884 by 10 families from Khiva and other families and individuals.
The city of Beatrice is located in Gage County on the Big Blue River in the southeastern part of the state, 40 miles (65 km) south of Lincoln, and had a population of about 14,000 in 1950 (12,700 in 2009). It was highly industrialized in 1950, manufacturing or processing 42 different products. Approximately 20 per cent of the 520 Mennonites of the community lived in the city as businessmen, laborers, or retired farmers. The Mennonite farming community was located mostly west of the city. Beatrice was the residence of Cornelius Jansen and Peter Jansen.
In 1950 the community was served by two General Conference Mennonite churches, Beatrice Mennonite Church in the city and the First Mennonite Church four miles (seven km) west of the city. Other institutions included the Mennonite Deaconess Home and Hospital, the Mennonite Bible Academy, and a number of convalescent homes owned and operated by Mennonites.
|Author(s)||Jacob T Friesen|
 Cite This Article
Friesen, Jacob T. "Beatrice (Nebraska, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 30 Jul 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Beatrice_(Nebraska,_USA)&oldid=75269.
Friesen, Jacob T. (1953). Beatrice (Nebraska, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 30 July 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Beatrice_(Nebraska,_USA)&oldid=75269.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.