Bauman (Baumann, Bowman, Bouman) family
A Mennonite family name found as early as 1685 in Bern, Switzerland, Bauman is also found in the Palatinate census lists of the following decades. In 1710 Wendell Bauman came to Pennsylvania, settling in what is now Lancaster County. The name is first found in Pennsylvania, and later in Ohio, Ontario, Missouri, Iowa, Illinois, and Virginia. It has occurred most commonly in Pennsylvania and Ontario. Among Mennonite leaders bearing the family name was Johannes Bowman (d. 1738), an early minister and bishop of what is now Lancaster County, Pa. He was the only bishop from the Conestoga district to attend the first Mennonite conference held in North America in 1725. Moses Bowman (1819-1898) was a prominent Mennonite Church (MC) preacher in Waterloo County, Ontario.
Amos S. Bauman (1854-1911) was born in Ontario and later moved to Iowa, where he was ordained a minister in the Stauffer Mennonite Church. When he moved to Alberta he was ordained a bishop there in 1903. Due to some difficulties he left this branch of the church and joined the Mennonite Brethren in Christ. Dr. H. R. Bauman (b. 1897) was a General Conference Mennonite (GCM) missionary stationed in Champa, India. Irvin W. Bauman (b. 1897) was professor of sociology at Bluffton College in Bluffton, Ohio. Dr. Isaiah Bowman (d. 1950), who was president of Johns Hopkins University and an outstanding American geographer, was a grandson of Preacher Moses Bowman of Waterloo County, Ontario, and was himself a native of this county.
|Author(s)||Harold H Hartzler|
Cite This Article
Hartzler, Harold H. "Bauman (Baumann, Bowman, Bouman) family." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1955. Web. 25 May 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bauman_(Baumann,_Bowman,_Bouman)_family&oldid=119809.
Hartzler, Harold H. (1955). Bauman (Baumann, Bowman, Bouman) family. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bauman_(Baumann,_Bowman,_Bouman)_family&oldid=119809.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 249. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.