Barickman is a Hutterite Bruderhof, 12 miles (20 km) west of Headingly, Manitoba. It was founded in 1920 by 12 families of the Maxwell Bruderhof, three miles (5 km) west of Barickman. The Bruderhof has 2,740 acres of land south of the Assiniboine River. Small grain was the most suitable crop in the 1950s. Other products were honey, fruit, and vegetables. Their first preacher was Samuel Hofer, who died in 1935. In 1931 David Dekker was chosen preacher, and in 1937 David Hofer. In 1941 the Bruderhof numbered 194 souls, 75 being baptized members. In 1941 Preacher David Dekker with 13 families moved to Olivet, Hutchinson County, South Dakota; they bought the Tschetter Bruderhof, which had not been occupied by Hutterites since 1918, when the occupants moved to Alberta, and founded the Rosebud Bruderhof near Rocky Ford. In 1947 the Barickman Bruderhof numbered 135 souls with 54 baptized.
Daughter colonies of Barickman Colony include: Greenwald (Beausejour, Manitoba); Oakridge (Holland, Manitoba); and Shady Lane (Treherne, Manitoba).
In 2012 Barickman Hutterite Colony was a Schmiedeleut Group 1 colony. The minister was Dave Hofer and the manager was Ben Hofer.
 Additional Information
Location: Cartier, Manitoba (coordinates: 49.934167, -97.605278 [49˚ 56′ 03″ N, 97˚ 36′ 19″ W]; 33.3 km. [20.7 miles] west of Winnipeg and 49.4 km [30.7 miles] east of Portage la Prairie).
Address: Box 200, Cartier, Manitoba R4K 1B8
|Date Published||February 2013|
 Cite This Article
Decker, David and Bert Friesen. "Barickman Hutterite Colony (Cartier, Manitoba Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. February 2013. Web. 27 Nov 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Barickman_Hutterite_Colony_(Cartier,_Manitoba_Canada)&oldid=75175.
Decker, David and Bert Friesen. (February 2013). Barickman Hutterite Colony (Cartier, Manitoba Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 27 November 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Barickman_Hutterite_Colony_(Cartier,_Manitoba_Canada)&oldid=75175.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.