From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

The Ashland, Ohio, Old Order Amish Settlement is located in north central Ohio, approximately 40 mi. (65 km.) northwest of the Holmes County community. The first Amish settlement, made up of Holmes and Wayne County families, lived amidst the four Mennonite churches in the same area. Within several decades, Amish farmers moved away or affiliated with the Mennonite Church (MC), and the settlement became extinct. In 1954, a new Amish settlement began. In its 30-year history, the Ashland community has seen steady growth. In 1958 it consisted of one church district located near the city of Ashland, with 65 members and two bishops, Abe D. Troyer and Emanuel E. Schrock. In 1986 it had five church districts (congregations) with more than 700 people and maintained seven Amish schools. The Ashland Amish pioneered new settlements in Greenwood, Wisconsin (1975), and Stanwood, Michigan (1982).


Author(s) Harold S. Bender
Samuel L. Yoder
Date Published 1987


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Bender, Harold S. and Samuel L. Yoder. "Ashland Old Order Amish Settlement (Ashland, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1987. Web. 27 Aug 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Ashland_Old_Order_Amish_Settlement_(Ashland,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=74966.

APA style

Bender, Harold S. and Samuel L. Yoder. (1987). Ashland Old Order Amish Settlement (Ashland, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 27 August 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Ashland_Old_Order_Amish_Settlement_(Ashland,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=74966.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 1060; vol. 5, p. 39. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.