Ashland County (Ohio, USA)
Ashland County, Ohio, is located in the north central part of the state, with Ashland as the county seat. This county was once the home of four Mennonite churches, now all extinct -- two of Pennsylvanians, one of the Old Order Amish, and one composed of Bavarian-Palatine immigrants, inclined later toward the General Conference Mennonite Church (though never actually becoming a member) -- all founded before the middle of the 19th century. The county also contained several other of the Historic Peace Churches -- Brethren in Christ and Church of the Brethren. Ashland city was the seat of a Brethren church college and seminary.
In the 1950s a new Old Order Amish settlement moved into the county.
Umble, John S. "Extinct Ohio Mennonite Churches, the Churches in Ashland County." Mennonite Quarterly Review 19 (January-July 1945): 41-58, 215-237; 20 (January 1946): 4-52.
|Author(s)||C. Henry Smith|
Cite This Article
Smith, C. Henry. "Ashland County (Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 23 Oct 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Ashland_County_(Ohio,_USA)&oldid=113188.
Smith, C. Henry. (1953). Ashland County (Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 October 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Ashland_County_(Ohio,_USA)&oldid=113188.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 176. All rights reserved.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.