Ashland County, Ohio U.S. Census TIGER/Line map
Ashland County, Ohio
, is located in the north central part of the state, with Ashland as the county seat. This county was once the home of four Mennonite churches, now all extinct -- two of Pennsylvanians, one of the Old Order Amish
, and one composed of Bavarian-Palatine
immigrants, inclined later toward the General Conference Mennonite Church
(though never actually becoming a member) -- all founded before the middle of the 19th century. The county also contained several other of the Historic Peace Churches
-- Brethren in Christ
and Church of the Brethren
. Ashland city was the seat of a Brethren church college and seminary.
In the 1950s a new Old Order Amish settlement moved into the county.
Umble, John S. "Extinct Ohio Mennonite Churches, the Churches in Ashland County." Mennonite Quarterly Review 19 (January-July 1945): 41-58, 215-237; 20 (January 1946): 4-52.
|| C. Henry Smith
| Date Published
Cite This Article
Smith, C. Henry. "Ashland County (Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 30 May 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Ashland_County_(Ohio,_USA)&oldid=74964.
Smith, C. Henry. (1953). Ashland County (Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 30 May 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Ashland_County_(Ohio,_USA)&oldid=74964.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia
, Vol. 1, p. 176. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.