The Arthur Mennonite Church had its beginning in October 1936 when a group of workers from the East Bend
congregation near Fisher
, began services in the Obie Bontrager home in Arthur. The first series of meetings was also held there in December of the same year by J. A. Heiser. In the fall of 1938 H. J. King and family moved to Arthur from Harper, Kansas
, and took charge of the work. In the spring of 1948 Richard Yordy
and wife came to assist in the work. The group was organized into a congregation in the Illinois Conference of the Mennonite Church
on 15 September 1940, by Bishops C. A. Hartzler and J. A. Heiser, with a charter membership of fifty-six. The 1953 membership was 241. A new church was dedicated in May 1949. The group at that time was almost entirely of Old Order Amish
background and drawn from the neighboring Amish community.
Address: 710 E Park Street, Arthur, IL 61911
Web site: http://www.arthurmennonite.org/
Illinois Mennonite Conference
Mennonite Church USA
|| Henry J King
| Date Published
Cite This Article
King, Henry J. "Arthur Mennonite Church (Arthur, Illinois, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 25 Feb 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Arthur_Mennonite_Church_(Arthur,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=74956.
King, Henry J. (1953). Arthur Mennonite Church (Arthur, Illinois, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 February 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Arthur_Mennonite_Church_(Arthur,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=74956.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Kitchener, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia
, Vol. 1, p. 172. All rights reserved.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.