Andrews Bridge Christian Fellowship (Christiana, Pennsylvania, USA)

Revision as of 18:42, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (talk | contribs) (CSV import - 20130820)

Jump to: navigation, search

Andrew's Bridge, an African-American mission of the Lancaster Mennonite Conference, elevated above the Octoraro in southern Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, was opened 16 January 1938 by the Mellinger congregation. The Lina May Thompson (Colored) home was the center of the work. In 1945 a new commodious meetinghouse was built by the mission board. Israel D. Rohrer, who was later ordained for the ministry to the deaf, was for some years the superintendent. Bernard B. Kautz also served in this position. Jacob K. Mellinger was ordained on 5 June 1946 as the first local minister, and on 11 May 1949 Daniel D. Leaman was ordained his assistant. The 1952 membership was 55. John R. Winey was ordained deacon on 20 July 1952. It later became an organized congregation of both African-Americans and whites, augmented by the influx of overflowing congregations more central, due to high prices of land in the heart of Lancaster County. It later became known as Andrews Bridge Mennonite Fellowship.

Author(s) Jonas S Beachy
Date Published 1953

Cite This Article

MLA style

Beachy, Jonas S. "Andrews Bridge Christian Fellowship (Christiana, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 21 Nov 2017.,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=74787.

APA style

Beachy, Jonas S. (1953). Andrews Bridge Christian Fellowship (Christiana, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 November 2017, from,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=74787.


Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 121. All rights reserved.

©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.