Jump to: navigation, search


Andrew's Bridge, an African-American mission of the Lancaster Mennonite Conference, elevated above the Octoraro in southern Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, was opened 16 January 1938 by the Mellinger congregation. The Lina May Thompson (Colored) home was the center of the work. In 1945 a new commodious meetinghouse was built by the mission board. Israel D. Rohrer, who was later ordained for the ministry to the deaf, was for some years the superintendent. Bernard B. Kautz also served in this position. Jacob K. Mellinger was ordained on 5 June 1946 as the first local minister, and on 11 May 1949 Daniel D. Leaman was ordained his assistant. The 1952 membership was 55. John R. Winey was ordained deacon on 20 July 1952. It later became an organized congregation of both African-Americans and whites, augmented by the influx of overflowing congregations more central, due to high prices of land in the heart of Lancaster County. It later became known as Andrews Bridge Mennonite Fellowship and later still as the Andrews Bridge Christian Fellowship.

Sometime after 2000, the congregation withdrew from the Lancaster Mennonite Conference and became part of the Alliance of Mennonite Evangelical Congregations.

[edit] Additional Information

Address: 1873 Georgetown Road, Christiana Pa. 17509

Phone: 717-529-2553


Denominational Affiliation: Alliance of Mennonite Evangelical Congregations

[edit] Map

Map:Andrews Bridge Christian Fellowship (Christiana, Pennsylvania, USA)

Author(s) Jonas S Beachy
Sam Steiner
Date Published 1953

[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Beachy, Jonas S and Sam Steiner. "Andrews Bridge Christian Fellowship (Christiana, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 29 Jun 2017.,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=116276.

APA style

Beachy, Jonas S and Sam Steiner. (1953). Andrews Bridge Christian Fellowship (Christiana, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 29 June 2017, from,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=116276.

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 121. All rights reserved.

©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.