From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

The Amish Mennonite Children’s Home, near Grantsville, Maryland, was opened in 1913 and discontinued in 1938 because of the restrictive laws dealing with the interstate movement of children. Sponsored by Minister Jacob S. Miller, the project was first studied by the Conservative Amish Mennonite Conference of 1912. In 1913 the project was started in the private home of Minister Noah Brenneman, of Accident, Maryland, who had been appointed superintendent. In 1916 a brick building accommodating 75 children was erected north of Grantsville. Brenneman continued as superintendent until 1 July 1928, and after that served as assistant until the home was closed. Children from the institution were placed in private homes in New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Iowa and Delaware.


Author(s) John B Mast
Date Published 1955


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Mast, John B. "Amish Mennonite Children's Home (Grantsville, Maryland, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1955. Web. 1 Aug 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Amish_Mennonite_Children%27s_Home_(Grantsville,_Maryland,_USA)&oldid=113718.

APA style

Mast, John B. (1955). Amish Mennonite Children's Home (Grantsville, Maryland, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 1 August 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Amish_Mennonite_Children%27s_Home_(Grantsville,_Maryland,_USA)&oldid=113718.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 92. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.