Altona Mennonite Meetinghouse Joe Nighswander photo
The Altona Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church
) is an extinct congregation of the Mennonite Conference of Ontario
which met in the Altona Mennonite meetinghouse, situated on the Pickering-Uxbridge town line, Ontario County, three miles (five km.) east of the village of Stouffville. The Stouffers
came to this village 1804. Barkeys
, Nighswanders, Lehmans
, and several other families spread into this area from Markham. Daniel Kreider was minister in 1825. In 1852 the present brick building was erected, although a schoolhouse on this site was used for preaching many years before. Altona is listed in the meeting calendar for 1854 for a meeting every four weeks. In 1858 the ministers' conference ordained a minister and a deacon for the district. Daniel Lehman became deacon in 1851, followed by Jacob R. Reesor, Samuel G. Reesor, and Isaiah Hoover, who became deacon in 1913. Samuel Hoover was ordained minister in 1873 and served 20 years. He was followed by John G. Hoover. In the spring of 1920 the work was relinquished to the Old Order Mennonite
faction and the remaining members transferred to the Wideman Mennonite Church
in Markham. The language of worship was English; the transition from German occurred in the 1870s.
The building is located on Lot 30, Concession 9 of Pickering Township, on the Pickering-Uxbridge Townline.
See also: Altona Mennonite Meetinghouse
Mennonite Reporter (24 December 1990): 13.
|| Joseph C. Fretz
|| Marlene Epp
| Date Published
|| April 1986
Cite This Article
Fretz, Joseph C. and Marlene Epp. "Altona Mennonite Church (Stouffville, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. April 1986. Web. 27 May 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Altona_Mennonite_Church_(Stouffville,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=90833.
Fretz, Joseph C. and Marlene Epp. (April 1986). Altona Mennonite Church (Stouffville, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 27 May 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Altona_Mennonite_Church_(Stouffville,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=90833.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia
, Vol. 1, p. 82. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.