From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

The Allen County Conservative Amish Mennonite Church had its beginning in October 1921 when a group under the leadership of Bishop John Bontrager started church and Sunday school in the Dicky schoolhouse two miles west of Sherwood, Ohio. A year later Bishop Solomon Swartzentruber and Bishop John Troyer reinstated Bishop Bontrager and Deacon John Helmuth, who had been dismissed by the Old Order Amish Church, to their positions of leadership in the congregation. Later when these men moved to New York, Bishop Swartzentruber had charge of the small flock. In 1929 several families from the Allen County Old Order Amish were taken into the congregation. In 1929 the church building, one mile west of Harlan, IN, was dedicated. In March 1948 a new church was built one and a half miles southwest of Harlan. It was later known as the Cuba Conservative Mennonite Church. The minister in 1955 was Edwin Albrecht, the deacon Menno D. Miller.


Author(s) Sam Fisher
Date Published 1955


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Fisher, Sam. "Allen County Conservative Amish Mennonite Church (Allen County, Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1955. Web. 22 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Allen_County_Conservative_Amish_Mennonite_Church_(Allen_County,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=74657.

APA style

Fisher, Sam. (1955). Allen County Conservative Amish Mennonite Church (Allen County, Indiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Allen_County_Conservative_Amish_Mennonite_Church_(Allen_County,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=74657.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 55. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.