From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

Allegheny Mennonite Church, 1947.
Scan courtesy Mennonite Church USA Archives-Goshen X-31.1, Box 18/49
The meetinghouse in 2013.
Scan courtesy Shuvaev (Own work) [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

The Allegheny Mennonite Church was a member of the Lancaster Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church USA), in Brecknock Township, Berks County Pennsylvania, near Alleghenyville. The first Mennonite settler was Jacob Bauman (1722-1770), son of Wendel of Pequea, coming in 1745, who was followed by his brothers Christian and Peter in 1751, also by Peter Eshelman and his sons Jacob and Peter in 1749. Benedict Horning came in 1759.The congregation was organized probably in 1760. Christian Bauman (1724-1790) was the first minister. In 1802 Joseph Bauman (1766-1849), his son, was ordained a minister. In 1816 before moving to Waterloo County, Ontario, he preached a fitting farewell sermon under a tree near his home a mile east from the Allegheny Mennonite Church. Between 1807 and 1825 probably 30 members of this congregation moved to Ontario. The congregation worshiped in private homes until 1855, when they built the first meetinghouse. The 1948 membership was 10.

When the congregation dwindled to nine members regular services ended in 1954, and the remaining members went to neighboring Mennonite congregations. An annual Summer Bible school was held on the site from 1950-1970. After 1977, an annual historical and inspirational service was held on the site on a summer evening. In 1994 the Alleghany Mennonite Historical Association was formed to oversea property maintenance and educational events. The "Alleghany" spelling for the association derives from the spelling used in some early church records.

[edit] Bibliography

"National Register of Historic Places Registration Form." United States Department of the Interior. National Park Service. 23 April 2009. Web. http://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/weekly_features/2009/AlleghanyMennoniteMeetinghouse.pdf.

[edit] Map

Map:Allegheny Mennonite Church (Alleghenyville, Pennsylvania, USA)


Author(s) Aaron M. Weber
Sam Steiner
Date Published August 2015


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Weber, Aaron M. and Sam Steiner. "Allegheny Mennonite Church (Alleghenyville, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. August 2015. Web. 29 Aug 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Allegheny_Mennonite_Church_(Alleghenyville,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=132586.

APA style

Weber, Aaron M. and Sam Steiner. (August 2015). Allegheny Mennonite Church (Alleghenyville, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 29 August 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Allegheny_Mennonite_Church_(Alleghenyville,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=132586.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 55. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.