From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

The Alexian Brothers Hospital in Chicago was the location of the first Civilian Public Service hospital unit to be established during World War II. It opened in March 1942 under the Association of Catholic Conscientious Objectors. At least twelve Mennonites served in the unit, mostly as nurses. Since only male patients were accepted, all nursing personnel was male. Some unit members enrolled in a practical nursing course and some specialized in the study of Chinese language and culture to prepare themselves for possible relief work in China. The Brethren Service Committee administered the unit during the last months up to the time of its close in July 1946. The unit published a 32-page description entitled Of Human Importance.  


Author(s) Melvin Gingerich
Date Published 1955


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Gingerich, Melvin. "Alexian Brothers Hospital (Chicago, Illinois, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1955. Web. 17 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Alexian_Brothers_Hospital_(Chicago,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=74631.

APA style

Gingerich, Melvin. (1955). Alexian Brothers Hospital (Chicago, Illinois, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 17 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Alexian_Brothers_Hospital_(Chicago,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=74631.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 51. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.