The Akers Mennonite Church, situated 40 miles (65 km) north of New Orleans, Louisiana, was a member of the South Central Conference Mennonite Church, with a baptized membership of 29 in 1953 and 21 in 1971. Their first minister, Henry F. Tregle, Jr., was converted at Allemands, Louisiana, in 1940 and was ordained by E. S. Hallman to preach at Akers in 1942. The Akers church was built and dedicated in April 1942. The first converts here (11) were baptized in June 1944. Nearly all of the families were formerly members of the Roman Catholic Church.
Another church building was constructed at nearby Madisonville, though the groups meeting at Akers and Madisonville were considered part of the same congregation. Other ministers of the congregation included George Reno, Kenneth Smoker and Robert O. Zehr. The congregation closed around 1972.
Erb, Paul. South Central Frontiers: A History of the South Central Mennonite Conference. Studies in Anabaptist and Mennonite History, no. 17. Scottdale, Pa.: Herald Press, 1974: 379-381.
 Cite This Article
Hershey, Paul and Kevin Enns-Rempel. "Akers Mennonite Church (Akers, Louisiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 2006. Web. 31 Jul 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Akers_Mennonite_Church_(Akers,_Louisiana,_USA)&oldid=132243.
Hershey, Paul and Kevin Enns-Rempel. (2006). Akers Mennonite Church (Akers, Louisiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 31 July 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Akers_Mennonite_Church_(Akers,_Louisiana,_USA)&oldid=132243.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.