Africa Inland Mission
Africa Inland Mission had its beginning in the work of Peter Cameron Scott (1867-1896), a Scottish-American missionary to Congo, who dreamed of establishing a network of mission stations in Africa. He was unable to get a denomination to support the work, but he managed to interest individuals in the Philadelphia area to provide some funds. On 17 August 1895 the first missionaries, including Scott, set off for Kenya, where within a year they had four mission stations. After Scott's death in 1896, Charles Hurlburt provided key leadership for the next two decades.
After stirring messages on African mission work were given to the Defenseless Mennonites and the Central Illinois Conference of Mennonites by representatives of the Africa Inland Mission in 1905, both groups decided to open mission stations under this organization. In April 1906 the Foreign Mission Committee of the Central Illinois Conference sent its first missionaries to Africa, and some time later the Defenseless Mennonites sent their first workers to East Africa. Both conferences, however, discontinued their work under the Africa Inland Mission when their missionaries had completed their first term of service. It was felt that it would be advisable to begin an independent Mennonite mission program in Africa and so the Congo Inland Mission was organized by the above two conferences.
"About our Heritage." Africa Inland Mission. Web. 14 July 2015. http://aimint.org/usa/about/our-heritage/.
Cite This Article
Gingerich, Melvin and Sam Steiner. "Africa Inland Mission." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1955. Web. 24 Oct 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Africa_Inland_Mission&oldid=132161.
Gingerich, Melvin and Sam Steiner. (1955). Africa Inland Mission. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 October 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Africa_Inland_Mission&oldid=132161.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 21. All rights reserved.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.