The Canadian Northern Railway's Goose Lake line from Saskatoon to Calgary opened land in east-central Alberta to settlement. This included Mennonites interested in land near the Alberta-Saskatchewan border. It included members of the Mennonite Church and the Mennonite Brethren in Christ church. Various denominations worshiped together in private homes in the early years. Ministers from Mount View, West Zion and Clearwater tried to visit their members twice a year for communion. Membership ranged from six to eleven during these years.
Beginning in 1924 the Acadia Valley group was listed as a mission point by the Alberta-Saskatchewan Mennonite Conference. The Mennonite Church group was strengthened in 1946 when Lloyd and Hilda Good moved to the area with their family. Lloyd provided pastoral leadership until their retirement in 1976.
In 1950 the congregation had 10 members, dropping in 1965 to 6 and in 1979, 5. The congregation dissolved in 1979.
Regehr, T. D. Faith, Life and Witness in the Northwest, 1903-2003 : Centennial History of the Northwest Mennonite Conference. Kitchener, Ont. : Pandora Press, 2003: 70-71.
|Date Published||December 2014|
 Cite This Article
Steienr, Sam. "Acadia Valley Mennonite Church (Acadia Valley, Alberta, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. December 2014. Web. 31 Mar 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Acadia_Valley_Mennonite_Church_(Acadia_Valley,_Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=128566.
Steienr, Sam. (December 2014). Acadia Valley Mennonite Church (Acadia Valley, Alberta, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 31 March 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Acadia_Valley_Mennonite_Church_(Acadia_Valley,_Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=128566.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.