Aaron Martin group (Old Order Mennonites)
The Aaron Martin group (Old Order Mennonites) were named for Aaron Martin, born 30 August 1918 in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. He joined with the "Jacob Stauffer people" in eastern Snyder County, Pennsylvania, but in 1945 led one of the two-way schisms in that congregation. Martin was ordained to the ministry after this schism, 4 June 1945, and four weeks later bishop. In 1950 the group had twenty-eight members and used the meetinghouse a few miles west of the Susquehanna Trail. Further divisions, a total of four in seven years, reduced the group to small fractions each with a bishop, minister, and deacon, all using the same meetinghouse at different times.
In 2001 there was still one independent Old Order Mennonite congregation at Port Treverton, Pennsylvania identified as Aaron Martin Mennonites. It had 24 members at that time.
Kraybill, Donald B. and C. Nelson Hostetter. Anabaptist World USA. Scottdale, Pa.: Herald Press, 2001: 170, 276.
|Author(s)||Ira D Landis|
|Date Published||December 2014|
Cite This Article
Landis, Ira D and Sam Steiner. "Aaron Martin group (Old Order Mennonites)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. December 2014. Web. 20 Jun 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Aaron_Martin_group_(Old_Order_Mennonites)&oldid=128433.
Landis, Ira D and Sam Steiner. (December 2014). Aaron Martin group (Old Order Mennonites). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 June 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Aaron_Martin_group_(Old_Order_Mennonites)&oldid=128433.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 6. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.